Air conditioning units are a large investment. The good news; you can get more life out of your new AC unit with regular maintenance and servicing. So just how long can your AC unit last?
Factors to the Longevity of Your Air Conditioner
The simple answer is that central air conditioners typically last anywhere from 12 to 15 years. Of course, this projected lifespan depends on certain variables, such as:
- Frequency of Use: Constant wear and tear on an air conditioner is going to take its toll, so it makes senses that the more an air conditioner is used, the shorter its lifespan will be. AC systems can last for decades in temperate regions like New England where the system isn’t running 24/7 year-round. Unfortunately for Floridians, an AC unit is not going to last nearly as long due to constant use.
- Location of Your Home: Constant exposure to natural elements such as storms, extreme heat, saltwater, or environmental toxins can cause internal parts to deteriorate faster than expected.
- Size of the Unit vs. Cooling Load: An undersized air conditioner is going to work harder to cool your home and, therefore, start to fatigue sooner. On the flip side, oversized air conditioners will short-cycle (rapidly turn off and on) and inflict excessive wear and tear on the compressor. So ensuring your unit is the appropriate size for your home is key to a longer lifespan for the unit.
- Regular Maintenance: For peak performance, it is critical to invest in regular semi-annual maintenance checks. Hands down, it is the best thing you can do to prolong the life of your AC unit. In fact, it’s not always elective as many manufacturers’ warranties require regular comprehensive maintenance – “comprehensive” meaning more than just a visual inspection. All key components should be inspected including the compressor, condenser, fan, blower, ducts, etc. by a trained and experienced AC technician.
Is Your System Near Failure?
There are certain signs that could mean a repair or replacement of your AC unit is necessary. Here’s what to look for:
- Does the system make grinding, rattling, or whining noises?
- Does your home feel more humid or does the thermostat report an indoor humidity over 50 percent?
- Are you starting to notice unusually large amounts of dust on household surfaces?
Need a Repair or Replacement?
If you are unsure of the condition of your AC unit, give the Comfort Consultants at Northeast Florida Heating & Air a call today for a free in-home consultation. Our expert technicians have over 30 years of experience in the HVAC industry and will determine whether your air conditioning system is need of a minor repair or a complete overhaul. Our Jacksonville air conditioning company serves Julington Creek, Fleming Island, Ponte Vedra, Orange Park, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach and Mandarin, FL. Call us today at 904-783-7003.